Today I have a guest at Techie Mum – Pia Argiratos from Powered Life. Pia has important tips for you on looking after your valuable techie gadgets, some brilliant Christmas gift ideas, and some very special offers for Techie Mum readers……
Santa, in the form of Apple, Samsung and Google, is set to deliver loads of shiny new tablets and mobiles to people big and small this Christmas. It seems that the toughest decisions are whether to jump the shark and leave the iOS platform for Android, or whether to go for the mini tablet size versus the maxi, not whether to buy tech at all.
So much time is spent analysing and assessing, imagining and debating devices. Yet when the unboxing moment arrives, its sleek, seemingly perfect surfaces are, well, a bit daunting. “I don’t dare use it in case I break it” paralysis can be a surprise.
The value of a truly protective case or cover for your device can’t be overstated. Finding a case that genuinely protects your new mobile best friend from the trials of everyday life – drops, spills, kids – can be a challenge. So here are seven tips on what to look for.
Repairs for a tablet or mobile phone begin at $100 so investing in a case that gives you real protection from shock and impact is crucial when the device will be used by children. Hidden air chambers within silicon cases, and tough ABS plastic are just some of the solutions used by quality cases to give your device real life protection.
The screen is your access to the wonders of your device, so protect it and keep it free from scratches. Inbuilt screen protectors are thick plastic screen covers so you will need to adjust to a slightly firmer touch, however the benefit in not worrying about sand grit under Junior’s fingers cannot be overstated.
Consider your needs for using your device. Will you be typing on it, so need a stand to keep a comfortable and safe posture? Need to mount your device on a wall to protect it, say in the kitchen? Different cases either include such options as standard, or can be added as accessories.
When you are looking for a waterproof case, look for the industry leading certifications. Military Standard 810G is a United States Military Standard used for drop and shock protection, while IP68 is a rating of Ingress Protection that categorises the degree of environmental protection against the invasion of solid foreign objects and water.
Brand name, brand quality
There is a reason why the big brands are well known. Their cases are well designed, made with a quality approach from reliable materials. They have warranty and information on how to use them that the rip-off or cheap versions don’t. And most importantly they work.
Power hungry games can sap your phone of juice faster than Rory the Racing Car. So having back up power on hand can save the day. A small palm sized rechargeable power pack in your bag can give you the reassurance that you can recharge your full phone anywhere – never be caught with a flat battery again. Another choice is a case with an extended battery built in, so one flick of a switch can see you recharge mid call, text or email.
Cleaning your phone regularly to rid it of hand jam will help to ensure a longer life for any mobile phone or tablet. Check the recommendations for your device or consider careful use of cleaning vinegar, rubbing alcohol or a good antibacterial cleanser. Don’t douse your device, just dampen a soft cloth and give it a good wipe. Check the ports for grit, clean them out carefully, making sure not to leave threads behind. Let it dry, give it another wipe. Let it dry and carry on.
Powered Life has kid-friendly iPad and tablet cases to help parents and schools extend the life of their investment in mobile technology. Powered Life partners with the best brands from around the world, including Otterbox, Lifeproof, Gumdrop, Trident, Incipio, Mophie and more. They offer a wide range of protective cases for tablets and mobile phones, plus portable power solutions – and more. All in one place, online at www.poweredlife.com.au.
Powered Life has an exclusive offer for Techie Mum readers on three of their most popular products. These products can all be shipped immediately and you can be sure that they will arrive by Christmas. (Move to the bottom of this article to see the exclusive offer)
· Kid-tested. With its flexible foam construction the lightweight iGuy is the perfect iPad partner for families with young children.
· Free-standing. For cartoon hour the iGuy stands at attention—while it holds your iPad—offering a convenient viewing angle for short people.
· Plays nice with all iPads. iPad 2, 3 or 4? Original iPad?
No problem. The iGuy holds ‘em all.
· Squeezeable. The iGuy’s little arms and soft foam make it easy—and even fun—to hold.
· Available in Chilli Pepper (red), Grape, Lime and Mango
Also available for iPad Mini
· Shock-absorbing silicone.
· Hardened polycarbonate plastic shell.
· Built-in screen protector.
· Dust covers over microphone and speaker bays.
· Silicone plugs over port openings.
· Accessorise with A.M.S. attachments including AMS Media Stand (optional extra $19).
Available with trim colours of: Black, Blue, Pink, Green, Red. Also available for iPad Mini.
· Ultra-thin, 1500mAh protective battery case made for iPhone 5.
· Helium is engineered with edge-to-edge protection and outfitted with 80% more battery life to keep your iPhone 5 safe and charged.
· Talk Time - up to additional 6 hours on 3G
· Internet Use - up to additional 6 hours on 3G, Up to additional 6 hours on LTE, Up to additional 7 hours on WiFi
· Audio Playback - up to 30 hours
Video Playback - up to 7 hours
Here’s the special deal:
- Buy 2 iGuys OR Trident cases (iPad or iPad Mini), get 1 free!
(when ordering, in the comments box note what the free one is, iPad or iPad
Mini and preferred colour)
- Buy Mophie Juice Pack Helium, get a free iGuy Case for iPad
Just mention Techie Mum in the comments box at Checkout to get these great deals.