If you've had a tablet for a few years (or less) it may be tempting to upgrade to one of the many new models being released at the moment. Before you get rid of your old tablet there are a few things you need to do to make sure the next owner doesn't have access to any of your personal details.
First, make sure you back up any important information, such as old documents, receipts or passwords.
You can safely wipe your iPad, but still have access to your iTunes backup file from any of your other Apple devices:
- Launch your Settings menu, then tap General.
- Tap Reset, then choose “Erase all Content and Settings.”
- Enter your password if prompted.
- Tap Erase, which will delete all of your media and data as well as reset all settings.
The process of wiping your personal data from your Android tablet restores it to factory settings.
- Tap the Menu button on your Android tablet.
- Select Settings and then Privacy.
- Tap the Factory Data Reset button and choose whether you want to wipe all data on your device as well as all data on your microSD Card, or just one or the other. Tap Reset Phone.
- Confirm that you want to wipe your device by tapping the Erase Everything button.
Last year I wrote about what to do before you get rid of your old computer. If you’d like to read that post, click here.
If your old tablet or computer is not working and you just want to get rid of it, click here to read a post I wrote about what to do with your old techie devices.